1. I am not sure whether or not I will be forced into marriage, but I feel something is going on, should I contact you or should I wait till I’m sure?
    You should contact us if you suspect or feel something is wrong or not as it should be. This way we can help you prepare in case you are forced into marriage.
  2. I am under 16 and still at school, can you help me if I think I may be forced into marriage?
    Yes we are able to help even if you are under16.
    We would work with other agencies and organisations to make sure that you are as safe as possible.
  3. Would you make me leave home if I didn’t want to?
    We would not make you leave home, but would give you the best possible advice and guidance with your safety in mind at all times.
  4. If I had to leave home where would I go and what would I do for money to live on?
    If you had to leave home we would help to find a place of safety such as a refuge or safe house if you are female. If you are male we would work with housing departments at the local council, and other organisations to find you somewhere to stay. We would also refer you to the Department for Social Security to apply for any benefits you may be entitled to.
  5. My family are planning a holiday abroad, I want to go but am also scared that I may be forced into marrying someone I don’t want to. What should I do?
    You should contact us immediately, and we will be able to advise on your situation. If you have any doubts, we would advise you not to go. If, however, you do decide to go, we would ask for key information from you, such as your contact details in the UK and the country you are going to, your name exactly as it appears on your passport, passport number, date of travel and date of return. If you do find yourself in a forced marriage situation abroad, we would pass this information to the relevant Embassy or Consulate in that country, to help find you and bring you home.
  6. What if I don’t have my passport, ticket or any money?
    If you are a British National an emergency passport can be issued. If you don’t have money for a ticket, and there is no-one who can pay for this, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office may loan you the money to cover the cost of the ticket. However this must be paid back to them once you are back.
  7. What is the Forced Marriage Act?
    The Forced Marriage (Civil Protection) Act 2007 is a piece of legislation to protect against an individual being forced into marriage against their will. It also protects those who have already been forced into marriage. Please contact us for more information on this Act.
  8. Can you help me if I have already been forced into marriage overseas and do not want my spouse to join me?
    Yes we can advise you on your situation, and would work with other agencies and organisations for further help and support. However you may have to publicly state that you do not want your spouse to join you.