1. Can you explain the difference between arranged and forced marriage?
    An arranged marriage takes place with the full and free consent of the two people entering the marriage. A forced marriage takes place without consent of one or both people entering the marriage, where duress is often a factor.
  2. Do I need permission from the courts to take my children on holiday to my place of birth?
    No, not at all, the courts and other agencies are not concerned with family holidays, unless there is a possibility that a forced marriage could be taking place.
  3. Will I be arrested for trying to identify and introduce suitable marriage partners for my children?
    If the process is that of an arranged marriage then there is no reason why you should be arrested. However, if this arrangement has elements of duress and pressure, and agencies become involved, then there is a possibility of you being arrested.
  4. What is the forced marriage act, and what does it mean for me?
    The Forced Marriage (Civil Protection) Act 2007 is a means of protecting those facing or in a forced marriage. It will affect you only if you try and force your child/ren into marriage. A wide range of sanctions is available to the judge, including a custodial sentence.
  5. My child’s marriage has taken place abroad, is this illegal?
    If the marriage has taken place according to the law of the country where it was conducted, then, the marriage will be recognised in the UK.